Being a volunteer firefighter is one of the most diverse, challenging, stressful, and rewarding opportunities available. The position requires courage, dedication, and a willingness to learn new skills and take on new challenges. The rewards? A sense of accomplishment after defeating a fire. A sense of joy when a person is saved. A sense of fulfillment when proactive fire safety prevents a tragedy.
If you feel that you have what it takes to meet the challenges of being a volunteer firefighter, we want to hear from you! Please complete the below form and the Fire Department leadership will review it.
By submitting this form, you agree to and understand the following:
- Members may not grow a beard (to ensure that the breathing apparatus can form a positive seal)
- Members must be able to pass mandatory recruit training as well as medical and physical checks
- Members will be required to attend recruit training at the Vernon Fire Training Centre before attending any practices or emergency calls
- Members will be expected to adhere to department regulations and guidelines, and work within the incident command structure
- Members will be expected to maintain an excellent attendance record for practices and emergency calls
- There is a six month probation period prior to being accepted as a member